Cooking – everything you need to know about cooking on the boat
There is nothing like a homecooked meal, even when you are on board. Although boats are equipped with necessary kitchenware, the space for cooking on the boat is very limited, so we thought it would be useful if we provided you with few tips how to make it as enjoyable as it can be.
What food to buy for a sailing trip and in what amount
There is a provisioning site that provides the service of delivering food to your boat on the day of embarkation. All you have to do is choose and make the list of desired groceries online, and the company will do the rest.
Here is the link where you can order service of food delivery:
Depending on the number of people on the boat and the number of days that you will spend on the boat, the amount of food that will be delivered will be adjusted.
There are no restrictions regarding what food is allowed or not allowed on the boat. It is good to keep in mind to always have sufficient amount of drinks, especially water.
5 Useful tips for cooking on a boat
- Safety first - It is important to keep an eye on the things that may be dangerous to have on the boat and the things that are not necessary. Since the boat is moving even if it is docked, it is advised to use non-slip mats to stop plates, cutting boards or other utensils from sliding.
- Gas control - Every crew member should know how to turn on the stove and control the fuel safely. If there are gas installations on board, gas should be turned off at the bottle when nobody is using the stove.
- Food preferences - When ordering food, you should always ask your crew members for any diet restrictions and taste preferences. Cooking on the boat should be as convenience as possible, it is not the place to test your culinary skills by making multiple dishes for one meal. For everyone's pleasure, make sure to always have some snacks and refreshments on board.
- The cooking environment - Before ordering food, make sure you get to know the kitchen you are going to use. Be aware of utensils and kitchenware that are provided on board so you don't plan on making dishes that are not convenient to make in such an environment. Another great solution is to prepare some food in advance to keep it as simple as possible.
- Make a precise list of groceries – To prevent wasting food, make a precise list of what groceries you need and in what amount. This way you will also be able to save time at the grocery store, and to save your money from wasteful spending.